Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Crazy People!!

The past 24 hours have been filled with an increasing sense of discomfort with the world around me. People say the dumbest stuff to you when you're pregnant!

Last night, Devin and I stopped to get pizza and while we were waiting on our food, the lady behind the counter noticed my tummy and started talking to me. Without any kind of pretext or any prompting, she proceeds to tell me about a lady she met in the grocery store who just had twins and a month later, one twin is back in the hospital.

Ummm, ok, what the f**k? What on earth that had to do with me was absolutely beyond my realm of comprehension. I just chalked it up to the "people say dumb shit when you're pregnant" syndrome.

This morning, I had another OB appt. My normal doctor was busy delivering a baby, so they sent in another doctor from the practice. This guy was really perfunctory and obviously in some kind of a hurry. He listened to approximately 4 beats of Lily's heart and proclaimed that she sounded "great." He measured my tummy, but didn't tell ME what the results were. Then I brought up the cholesterol thing and he said "We don't even measure that because it increases during pregnancy" and kinda blew me off.

Then came the weight issue. I told him I was a bit concerned because of the rapid weight gain and he looked at my chart and said "yes, 22 lbs is a bit much so far....eat less and exercise more." Um, did you just tell me to DIET?! I can't eat LESS, I'm PREGNANT!

I've decided to go ahead and inherit my grandfather's "selective hearing" -- as in, if you say Stupid Shit, I will tune you out. While my grandfather refuses to hear anything that detracts from the Western Movies he watches on TV, I will refuse to hear anything negative about pregnancy, childbirth, or child rearing. Not that I'm sure some parts of all of that don't suck, I just don't want to hear it til its over and we can compare notes.

Oh, I will also tune out the women who say "I never had ANY problems while pregnant-- No morning sickness and I only gained 15 pounds, kept my Double D boobs and they're still perky, and my labor lasted only 5 minutes!" Thats super for you, really it is. However, I hope you get wrinkles at age 28 and that those Double D's start to sag real soon!

So, thats my rant for the day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home