6 Days Old!
I cannot believe my tiny baby is almost a week old. That leaves about 7 more weeks before I have to go back to work. Is it too early to start freaking out?
We had our first pediatrician appointment today. Well, actually it was more like a check-in with a Nurse Practitioner. I'm not sure I like the pediatrician's office. Places close to downtown that take Medicaid are probably all like this, but was abuzz with dirty, sick, screaming ghetto kids. We had to wait a whole hour just to see the LPN for 10 minutes.
Other than that, the appointment went well. Lily is up to 9 lbs (she had lost weight after birth in the hospital, which is normal). Her eyes are still yellowed by the slight jaundice, but the LPN said that'd be the last thing to go back to normal and everything else is fine. They also checked her heart, breathing, tummy sounds, ears, and well, pretty much her whole little body. She got a thumbs-up on every part! Whew, what a relief!
As for me, I'm healing a little more each day. I actually started one load (notice I did not say finished) of laundry and cooked macarroni last night. Other than that, I've been pretty much in bed all day. It still hurts to walk (stitches) and there's some other happy after-childbirth symptoms that are equally annoying, but all in all, its going okay.
We are still supplementing the breast milk with formula (especially at night because it makes her sleep for 3-4 hours straight). Devin went to the store himself and picked out the breast pump. It was really cute when he came home and showed me how to set up and get it going. That thing is a life-saver! Impending disaster averted!

Being a new mom can be overwhelming sometimes, but there's nothing that can even compare. I worried while I was pregnant that I would have trouble being selfless and totally devoted to another person. What I know now is that you just do it without thinking. I can wait a few hours to eat if I have to, or miss my favorite TV show, or change 3 poopy diapers in one hour, or be up really late at night feeding my baby...and I honestly don't mind it at all. Selflessness for my baby has come naturally thus far and I'm so grateful for that. It makes my job as a mommy so much easier!
We had our first pediatrician appointment today. Well, actually it was more like a check-in with a Nurse Practitioner. I'm not sure I like the pediatrician's office. Places close to downtown that take Medicaid are probably all like this, but was abuzz with dirty, sick, screaming ghetto kids. We had to wait a whole hour just to see the LPN for 10 minutes.
Other than that, the appointment went well. Lily is up to 9 lbs (she had lost weight after birth in the hospital, which is normal). Her eyes are still yellowed by the slight jaundice, but the LPN said that'd be the last thing to go back to normal and everything else is fine. They also checked her heart, breathing, tummy sounds, ears, and well, pretty much her whole little body. She got a thumbs-up on every part! Whew, what a relief!
As for me, I'm healing a little more each day. I actually started one load (notice I did not say finished) of laundry and cooked macarroni last night. Other than that, I've been pretty much in bed all day. It still hurts to walk (stitches) and there's some other happy after-childbirth symptoms that are equally annoying, but all in all, its going okay.
We are still supplementing the breast milk with formula (especially at night because it makes her sleep for 3-4 hours straight). Devin went to the store himself and picked out the breast pump. It was really cute when he came home and showed me how to set up and get it going. That thing is a life-saver! Impending disaster averted!

I think she changes so much every day. She's growing up already! This picture was taken when she was 4 days old. Look how much she's changed since the hospital!

Being a new mom can be overwhelming sometimes, but there's nothing that can even compare. I worried while I was pregnant that I would have trouble being selfless and totally devoted to another person. What I know now is that you just do it without thinking. I can wait a few hours to eat if I have to, or miss my favorite TV show, or change 3 poopy diapers in one hour, or be up really late at night feeding my baby...and I honestly don't mind it at all. Selflessness for my baby has come naturally thus far and I'm so grateful for that. It makes my job as a mommy so much easier!
4 Comments:
At Mon Feb 20, 04:50:00 PM 2006,
Rachel said…
Lora it sounds like you got this mommy thing down. You seem so together. I can't believe you are already cooking and doing house work. I was a big baby and made Stan help with all that. I used my after surgery (labor in your case) pains and my late night feeding excuses to the max. Lily looks wonderful and so do you. I'm so glad you are able to take everything as it comes. Breastfeeding can be hard and does not work out for everyone, I'm so proud that you haven't given up and continue to try through difficutly. And in the end no matter how she recieves nurishment she will be healthy and bonded to her awsome mommy. Keep it up. You seem to have it way more together than I did a week postpardum. :)
At Mon Feb 20, 07:15:00 PM 2006,
Anonymous said…
Hey hon! I'm so glad to hear you're doing well and that Lily is too. Just remember that it can only get easier from here on out, never harder. The hardest part is the first couple of months, after that it eases up signifigantly, so just hang in there! Lily is such a beautiful baby and it sounds like you are turning out to be a wonderful mommy! I've been meaning to call you, but the mother in law has been up the past weekend from Atlanta so hubby and I have been taking advantage of the free baby care. But I'll call you very soon! :)
At Tue Feb 21, 10:05:00 AM 2006,
Leslie said…
You should definitely be impressed with yourself! I am with Rachel (again) here. For six weeks I did absolutely nothing around the house. I may have changed a toilet paper roll here and there, but that was about it. And you are doing laundry? Okay, SUPERMOM.
At Wed Feb 22, 01:41:00 PM 2006,
Anonymous said…
She is sooo beautiful Lora!!! I am so proud of you and can't wait to get down there to see her in person!!! (I'm planning a trip for a long weekend in April!!) Pump that milk baby, cause I'm taking you out for a drink :) I'll let you know the details soon, like once I buy a plane ticket! Take it easy and take all the help you can get! Love you honey!
Post a Comment
<< Home