Saturday, May 24, 2008

Getting Crafty!

Sorry for the posting delay, our big computer is being random and the laptop seems to disappear more often than not (thanks, Devin), so I'm going to try to make a short post before the computer cutts off again.

So, I have been inspired lately! I do like my current job, but with the inscreasing cost of gas and everything that comes with it, I've decided that creativity may be my ticket to financial help as well as an outlet for any semblence of artisticness that I may possess. My first project was to collect used books for donation and then list them for sale on half*com -- it's been a lot of work with little profit so far, but any extra money is well worth the effort. Also, its fun for me because I love books.

As for the diaper cake thing, I have practiced a few times on some of Lily's diapers and have more ribbon that Martha*Stewart, but have yet to actually make one for new mom. I'm hoping to keep working on it in the coming months and get it down to a good science.

All the inspiration that went with going to the store and thinking about ways to be more crafty brought me to try to learn something new -- knitting! With the help of my Mom, I feel like I'm really getting the hang of it. Observe:

And even though we go to daycare and they won't cloth diaper, I have become slightly more excited about getting into it again, on nights and weekends, thanks to my friend Beth, who is building her cute stash. We got together a few weeks ago to tie-dye prefolds (and I made matching shirts) and they came out adorable!

The girls played nicely together as the mamas soaked the outfits
Lily models on of our finished products from the Purple batch -- matching diaper and shirt!

I have also convinced my amazing mother to knit Lily some wool diaper covers. Wool breathes unlike traditional covers or even regular diapers, so I wanted to try it, but the covers are expensive -- they start around $30 and go up from there. So, my awesome Mom handmade some for me!
Here, Lily models her first pair!

Other than all that excitment, not must has been going on here at Casa Lilypie. We had a wonderful mother's day a few weeks ago, which consisted of a visit to my Grandparent's house followed by an amazing meal at my Mom's. It was low-key and absolutely perfect!

Okay, one more thing -- here is a picture of Lily, next to her very own lilies that were given to her on the day she was born by my friend, Mary. My Mom (the only one of us with a green thumb) planted them at her house and Lily loves them. She said "Dats Lily's fwowers, mama" and she's so proud that they belong to her.


3 Comments:

  • At Wed May 28, 08:49:00 PM 2008, Blogger Lauren said…

    I love Lily's lilies. Your new craft is great, and the diaper cover your mom made is fabulous!

     
  • At Fri May 30, 10:45:00 PM 2008, Blogger Just the Sous Chef said…

    Soooooooo sweet with her very own Lily(ies)!!! And the cover your Mom made is AWESOME! Your knitiing looks great! You definitely have a business with one of these talents. (& I still think the painted names is an awesome idea, LOL!). Also - MISSED your posts! Hope you get back to blogging! xxoo

     
  • At Mon Jun 02, 09:12:00 PM 2008, Blogger Leslie said…

    I am so impressed with you taking the initiative to do all of that! Good luck with all of your craft endeavors. :) I love the tye-dye!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home