Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween

On Friday, I took the kiddos to a local pumpkin patch in the hopes of locating an actual carving pumpkin. They were fresh out (seriously?), but we had fun anyway and I let them pick out some dollar pumpkins to take home. We ended up stopping at the grocery store to get a pumpkin big enough to carve.
I made Lily wear her pumpkin outfit for a few pictures, but she was happy to take it off as soon as I let her :)

Saturday Halloween started off as low-key overcast day. We sat on the dock and fished (um correction, Devin and Lily fished, I sat there and knitted) when my Mom and sister came by. We only caught one brim, but hey, we were fishing with whole grain bread. I feel pleased that the fish got some healthy fiber because of us.
After a nap for the little man (who is the happiest baby on earth when he is well-rested), we carved our pumpkin. I will say, after all that carving, we had a time locating a candle and absolutely no luck locating a source of fire. Thats what happens when you move, folks, you throw crap out. I only slightly regret some of it :)
Devin got Colin a little dirty...
And finally, it was time to trick or treat. We started out in Dilworth (again, this year, I would like to thank the wealthy folks of Dilworth for their awesome hospitality), but right when we go there, it began to rain. Devins sister Deanna just moved back to NC from Maine (hooray!) and was with us, so she took Lily with an umbrella to a few houses. My Mom and sister called right as we were leaving and insisted that we at least meet up with them, as they had dressed up (Mom and Mildred were both pumpkins) and really wanted to show Lily their costumes. We met them at our old house (Deanna's current address) and by that time, the rain let up. So, we loaded back in the car and headed back to Dilworth. It was a little soggy out, but ended up being pretty good trick or treating weather. Lily had a blast and got really into it this year. She wanted to go to each door by herself (except the scary ones)

3 Comments:

  • At Mon Nov 02, 07:37:00 PM 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I *love* the pic of Colin with the pumpkin innards on his head! Too funny!

     
  • At Tue Nov 03, 08:09:00 PM 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Can't believe you have only itty bitty pumpkins left. There's a whole field of pumpkins right by the highway not five miles from me! They've closed up shop - guess they'll let them rot in the field. If I knew which house to go to, I'd offer to buy some for pumpkin soup, bread, etc.

    Vaughn's first pumpkin was so huge we put him inside it (he was about Colin's age) while we carved. He happily munched on raw pumpkin.
    Aunt Carol

     
  • At Wed Nov 04, 08:43:00 PM 2009, Blogger Leslie said…

    Sounds like you guys had an awesome Halloween! Lily and Colin's costumes are so cute.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home