Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Good Stuff

Today was Lily's second day at daycare and all went smoothly. I spent my lunch break again with Lily (although I didn't eat a thing, Lily enjoyed her lunch -- nursing!). I hope that things continue to go well and that webcam is a life-saver!

I found out why God wanted me to return to work: I learned today that I have TWO more abcessed teeth and it will cost roughly a 2-week paycheck (that's IF my insurance picks up a good amount) to pay for the root canals. Since I have had so many other teeth pulled (due to lack of money for root canals), I cannot afford to lose these (or I'll be eating babyfood while Lily progresses to solids!). The really sucky thing is that one of the abcesses is draining fluids (i know, gross) directly into my sinus cavity, thus causing incurable and heinously painful headaches and pressure. Its funny, but I didn't start having dental problems until I started going to the dentist...

Now, changing topic completely!

I went through my files at work and found some interesting things I'd come across while pregnant. The first is a birth prediction (I had to fill out my due date and some other stuff). It's meant purely for entertainment, but I'm glad I saved it. It said the following:


The day you deliver, outside will be breezy. Your baby will arrive in the evening. After a labor lasting approximately 7 hours, your child, a girl, will be born. Your baby will weigh about 8 pounds, 10 ounces, and will be 17-1/2 inches long. This child will have dark brown eyes and be completely bald.

In actuality, I have no idea what the day was like, since I didn't leave the hospital at all that day. I'd imagine it was cold, since it was February and all. Lily arrived in the morning (11:38 am) and actual labor lasted around 12 hours (give or take -- i don't know, i was out of it!). The weight was actually close, she was 8 lbs and 14.5 oz, but was 20.5 inches long (they predicted a short, fat baby, I think). The hair and eyes were totally off, my girl had lots of blonde hair and bright blue eyes! So, there you have...completely inaccurate tripe, but so fun!
Here is the other thing I found, that made me sob back then and still does today. I'd like to write this on the first page of my baby book:

"Where did I come from?" the baby asked its mother. She answered, half-crying, half-laughing, and clasping the baby to her breast, "You were hidden in my heart as its desire, my darling. You were in the dolls of my childhood games. In all my hopes and my loves, in my life, in the life of my mother, and in her mother before her, you have lived. In the lap of the eternal spirit you have been nursed and nurtured for ages.

-Indian philosopher and poet, Rabindrandth Tagore

1 Comments:

  • At Thu Apr 20, 10:17:00 AM 2006, Blogger Leslie said…

    What a beautiful quote! It makes me think of a biology lesson that has always stuck with me. A woman's eggs are created when she is about 4 months in utero, so our babies really have been with us all our lives!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home