Finally....the Twins!

As most of you know, my friend Allison delivered her twins back on April 12th when they were just 33 or 34 weeks gestation (6-7 weeks early). The babies were small, but relatively healthy. Luke weighed in at 5 lbs and his sister Chloe weighed in at 4 lbs. Chloe had IUGR, which stands for Intrauterine Growth Restriction, which means that she stopped growing sometime in utero. She's gonna be a tiny girl for quite a while. Well, the twins were in the NICU for a while and then went home with monitors (to make sure their breathing and heartrate were fine). While there were some bumps along the way, both babies are thriving now. Lily finally got to meet her new friends last night and it was so precious!
Because of their preemie status and Chloe's growth restriction, both babies are small for 3 months, but they are like tiny dolls. Chloe weighs only around 11 pounds, while her brother Luke weighs in at around 13 lbs. Both babies are very alert and active, like regular 3 month olds. They coo and laugh and kick and play, but they are so tiny! It's actually really cool to see!
Here's little Chloe, hanging out in her papasan chair. She is very strong and kept arching her back and would end up sliding down the chair. She really is like a tiny doll, strong and alert, but so small!
Some of you may remember me telling you about Luke. When his mom was pregnant with him, she was told he would have hydrocephalus, but when he was born, that turned out not to be the case. He is actually missing a tiny part of his brain, a piece of the corpus callosum (he is not missing the whole thing, just a small part). They don't know how it will affect him long term, as every person is different. Some people can go their whole lives without even knowing that they have this problem. Luke will get physical therapy, but they expect him to develop normally.
Here's Luke, with a big sweet grin:

Lily thought that Chloe looked like a doll too, she wanted to play with her~!

We had to wait a long while to see these babies, but it was well worth the wait! They are beautiful and I'm so happy that they are both happy and healthy and doing wonderfully. I definately admire their mommy, because twins seem like such a challenge! I'm hoping that when I'm a Stay At Home Mom, I can hang out more with Allison and her gorgeous duo :)
7 Comments:
At Tue Aug 22, 07:16:00 AM 2006,
Leslie said…
Ooohhh! Let me come and hang out with you guys! Twins = double the cuteness.
Twins amaze me. They were born too early, but they are doing so well. They look like active, typical, happy 3-month-olds. You wouldn't even know they had been premature unless you were told!
Does Allison have a blog? ;)
At Tue Aug 22, 01:21:00 PM 2006,
Leslie said…
Thank you, Lora! Your comment on my blog really made me feel better. Sam is definitely a little explorer.
Lora, I really hope you don't think my post was directed at any of you! I am thrilled for Lily's accomplishments - and I also think she is just as giggly and smiley as any other 6-month-old!
I was talking about the mommies who write posts with titles like, "Talking at one week old?????" and then go on to describe how their newborn is already saying dada, but then ask, "Is this normal????" Of course this isn't "normal," and these people darn well know that. They are just basically showing off, but doing it under the guise of concern. Very frustrating.
At Tue Aug 22, 02:11:00 PM 2006,
Leslie said…
AHHHH! Lora, you've made me all paranoid. If I make you mad, not only do I lose a great friend....I miss the chance to watch Lily!
At Tue Aug 22, 02:37:00 PM 2006,
Lew said…
How fun to spend time with two adorable twins!! They are precious, as is Lily as always. I'm so happy they are doing well and thriving!!
At Tue Aug 22, 10:35:00 PM 2006,
M said…
I keep meaning to ask you about the twins. I am so glad they are doing well. I am sure Lily loved being around more babies!!!
At Wed Aug 23, 02:56:00 AM 2006,
Anonymous said…
Yay! I am glad the twins are doing so well!
Congrats times two to the new mama!
At Wed Aug 23, 10:42:00 AM 2006,
Rachel said…
I'm so glad to hear the twins are doing so well. My great niece (yes, GREAT niece, Stan's oldest niece is only about a year younger than me, she had a baby 4 months before Kirby was born--it's weird I know), anyway, she was full term and at a very low weight level all of her first year and then all of the sudden porked up. She was always healthy and developing at a normal rate. Your friend needs to be thankful, that as long as her adorable babies are developing and growing, her back is getting some what of a break, especially with two. I don't know how she does it.
Post a Comment
<< Home