Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Bad News

Okay, I guess I will announce this all at once, so I don't have to send out a bunch of emails or make a lot of phone calls. We found out yesterday morning that they are moving my department to Tampa, FL. This leaves me 3 options:

1. Try to find another job with my company in Charlotte (probably will have to work under a different boss, which would suck because I love my current boss)

2. Move to Tampa for this new position

3. Take my severance and live off unemployment while staying home with Lily for a while and looking for another job eventually

I honestly don't know which option to choose. I tend to think that Option 2 just won't work for me and my family. Both of my parents live here as well as my grandparents, aunt, siblings, Devin's Dad, and Devin's mom lives on the NC Coast. I'd hate to move away from them and take Lily with me. I will, however, be happy to visit Tampa (and my friend Katie who lives there) to at least consider the offer -- or have a free trip to Tampa. Whichever.

So, its pretty much between Option 1 and Option 3. We are supposed to find out more details very soon regarding available jobs here. I've talked it over with Devin and we decided that as long as I could bring in a little money for household expenses and my existing bills (credit cards, school loan, etc), that I would live off unemployment or part time work and stay home with Lily as much as possible. I can't believe how supportive he's being about this, but I'm happy that he's not freaking out (like I am).

We have no official date to leave yet, but we were told it could be 3-4 months. I have a feeling it will be a while because they need to hire people, move people, and train people. It will be an arduous process, as my particular group is pretty specific in knowledge.

I will keep you all posted.

6 Comments:

  • At Wed Aug 16, 10:13:00 AM 2006, Blogger Rachel said…

    Lora, just remember that through everything comes some good. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

    I for one am not one to tell people not to move away (I think I will be the queen of moving away soon enough) but from the sounds of it you are right, that is not the best option for your family.

    And just to encourage you--with a few sacrifices we have made it work with me staying at home and only working part time. And I'll tell you I don't even remember the what things we are doing without now. Maybe we don't get to eat out (or 'go' out) nearly as much, but we make it work. It's been great to be home most of the day and then still have my time away for myself. And you know you have reliable child care, I'm sure Leslie can be flexible if need be.

    At the same time, if you are with a great company that you enjoy, there may be an even better position for you. Follow your heart and I will be praying for this time of change:).

     
  • At Wed Aug 16, 12:12:00 PM 2006, Blogger Andrew, Zachary and Will's Mommy said…

    I'll be praying right along with Rachel regarding this change.

     
  • At Wed Aug 16, 03:07:00 PM 2006, Blogger Leslie said…

    Oh, Lora! My heart is so heavy for you right now. What an incredible amount of....well, crap (for lack of a better word) to deal with. I hate you have to go through this.

    I know how scary it is to even think about living on one income when you are so used to two, but it really is manageable. It's amazing - when you have less to spend, you really don't spend as much.

    And Rachel is right. I can be as flexible as you need me to be. I'm right here, and I can drop anything at a moment's notice.

    I'll be praying for you!

     
  • At Wed Aug 16, 03:37:00 PM 2006, Blogger Amy said…

    Well you have a hard decision in front of you. Can you believe that you agonized over going back to work, and now that your job is moving, you are agonizing about your work. Things have really changed. Sorry that you are going through all of this, but I know that you will make the right decision.

     
  • At Wed Aug 16, 11:47:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh Lora! Well, I hope that you don't move to FL! Ugh, but I'm sorry that as soon as you get your plans all figured out that it all gets turned around on you. But with Devin's support and Lily's pretty smile, everything just has to work out doesn't it? With that terribly simplistic view, please refer to everyone else's insightful comments above mine. :) Thinking of you!

     
  • At Fri Aug 18, 02:21:00 PM 2006, Blogger Lew said…

    Hey Lora! This is Leslie (Whitten) Call here. I have been reading your blog for a few weeks now and have finally decided to get one too. It's http://www.lewdawgsboys.blogspot.com
    I hope we can keep in better touch now! I've loved reading yours.
    Love, Leslie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home