Monday, September 04, 2006

Worst Mother EVER!


And the Worst Mother of the Year Award goes to...

ME!

Why? you ask. Well, let me tell you about our weekend. Everything started off nicely, as we were looking forward to a 3-day weekend and some good ol' R&R. Yeah..notsomuch.

On Saturday afternoon, Lily and I went to go visit my friend, Beth, who has been feeling less-then-stellar because of a really crappy case of hyperemisis gravidarum. I thought I'd go and cheer my darling friend, Beth, up. And boy did I ever. Upon arrival at her house, I hopped out of the car to greet my friend. When I turned around to get my sweet baby out of the backseat, I realized that all of the car doors were locked. With my baby inside. Digging in my purse frantically, my keys were nowhere to be found. As I began to panic, Beth's dear husband and her father, who were moving furniture, immediately came to our aid. Her clever husband put a sheet over the windows to keep Lily cool and went to work with a coat hanger to try and open the door. We ended up calling the Police (FYI - Waxhaw police=ridiculously slow) and an officer arrived eventually to slim-jim my car open. The entire time, Lily just sat in her carseat, looking at this spectacle of panicking adults who were cooing at her and begging her to stay calm (calm? The kid could've cared less) like we were total nutjobs. Thank God that the Police are trained to use those slim-jims. I was seriously considering busting out my passenger window with one of Beth's pretty slate rocks that line her front yard.

So, in the best interest of my own sanity, Lily and I spent the night at my mom's on Saturday so we could both sleep in (read: my mom got up with the baby). I figured after some hearty rest and some good grandma-spoiling, I'd be back on top of my Mommy-game. As it turns out, again notsomuch.

Sunday was relatively uneventful. Lily and I joined Amy and Brendon at the park for a leisurely stroll and then later for dinner (which Devin babysat while I went to Amy's -- again, in the interest of mommy-mental-health-time). Have I had enough rest for my brain to function properly yet? Nope!

So, Monday, Lily and I went to Veteran's Park for a NA function. I had her on my lap in a lawn chair on the side of a hill. Can you guess where this is going? Yes, we BOTH tipped over and both did a face plant in the dirt on the side of that hill. Lily didn't scream (maybe because of the grass in her mouth?), she just looked mildly confused. Her clothes were so covered in dirt that I had to change them on the spot.

Now, if that wasn't bad enough, I made yet another mommy-mistake while at the park. I figured since it was hot and sticky outside, I would make sure Lily got plenty to drink at the park. I mixed up an entire sippy cup of apple juice and water.

Note to self: Everything in moderation to a tender tummy.

Lily stayed grumpy the whole afternoon and I couldn't figure out why. At home, she ate and took a nap, but kept whining and squealing. I set her in the jumperoo while I talked on the phone with my mom about my day. When I got of the phone, I picked my darling baby up only to discover she was completely covered (and now so was I) in poo! Yeah, fun. It was so bad that no wipies could have cleaned her up. I dumped her in the sink and rinsed her off (which she loved). There was poo everywhere and it was really nasty. I guess I forgot that water and juice could inspire such a large amount of bowel disturbance. Next time, I'll limit her to a few sips at a time.

So, there you have it. A plethora of reasons to vote for me as Worst Mommy of the Year!

(note: I am also accepting campaign contributions, so please feel free to send cash)

8 Comments:

  • At Tue Sep 05, 06:18:00 AM 2006, Blogger Leslie said…

    Oh, Lora! You poor, poor thing! You are sooooo far from the Worst Mother of the Year.

    Think of all the mothers who actually leave their kids in cars intentionally and "just for a minute" while they dash into Wal-Mart or Target or something. Here you were, frantic because you accidentally locked Lily in the car. (It sounds like she had some pretty awesome entertainment while she was inside, too)!

    Accidents happen! It's not like you threw her to the ground - you both fell! And knowing Lily, and how much of a daredevil she is, she probably got a thrill out of it. I wouldn't be surprised if she enjoyed herself.

    As for the poo thing, well, that's just a funny story! You got to tell all of us, and then Lily got a bath in the sink, which she loves. So, everyone wins!

    You are the BEST mother Lily could ever hope for. You are attentive to all her needs, comforting, caring, selfless, and, most of all, you love her and adore her. Doesn't sound like a horrible mother to me! Sorry, Lora, but I'm voting for someone else. :)

     
  • At Tue Sep 05, 08:05:00 AM 2006, Blogger Amy said…

    Lora, you are by far one of the best mothers that I know. You didn't do any of those things intentionally, and every mother, I repeat EVERY mother has days or even weeks like that.

    As for the juice, I had to learn that lesson the hard way too. We are all learning motherhood. It is not something that you just acquire naturally.(I don't care what anybody says)

    Sorry Lora, I agree with Leslie, I cannot in good conscience vote for you as worst mother of the year.

     
  • At Tue Sep 05, 08:06:00 AM 2006, Blogger Amy said…

    BTW, I was so happy to see you guys this weekend. Is it wrong for me to love Lily about as much as I love my own child?

     
  • At Tue Sep 05, 08:28:00 AM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh Lily your mommy isn't a bad mommy at all! This is a funny story though and even though the water and juice did not have great results.... I bet you loved it.

    Smooches from Piper

     
  • At Tue Sep 05, 09:06:00 AM 2006, Blogger Andrew, Zachary and Will's Mommy said…

    Bad Mother, I think not!

     
  • At Tue Sep 05, 09:24:00 AM 2006, Blogger Rachel said…

    Lora you are being far too hard on yourself. I've done way worse. I've had more than just bad weekends, I'm pretty sure I went on and on and have had entire months were it was one screw up after another.

    Have you ever almost blinded your child by splashing rubbing alcohol in their eye? I bet not!!! All of your votes will now go to me!

     
  • At Tue Sep 05, 06:40:00 PM 2006, Blogger Rachel said…

    By the way, Lily looks awfully happy to have concerns that she has a bad mother. She looks fine to me.

     
  • At Thu Sep 07, 09:42:00 PM 2006, Blogger Lew said…

    Ok, I hate to admit this, but I've had to call the fire department twice, yes twice, b/c Clive was locked in the car. Let me explain...my car does this weird thing (I have finally figured it out) where if I unlock the doors, but don't open the driver's side door in at least 1 minute, the doors lock automatically. Well, try putting a child in a carseat, strapping him in, and getting to the driver's side door in under 1 minute. I used to just open the door where Clive's carseat is, toss the keys over to the front seat to get them out of the way, and then strap him in, and go around to get in the car. Well, I learned my lesson after the second time of locking my baby in the car!!! It was awful! But, like Lily, Clive was completely entertained to watch the firemen trying to unlock the door. The first time was at the pediatrician's office...just picture all the nasty glares I got from other mom's!! I feel your pain! Love ya!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home