Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Breech Baby

So, my appointment today was standard (and included the lovely Group B Strep Test . ew.) -- until I asked the question that's been bugging me "Hey, Dr Morris, what is the lump right here? Can you tell what position he is in?". After a few minutes of feeling and looking sort of confused, we opted for a quick ultrasound. Turns out, that giant knot by my right rib that is forever causing me to curse, is a head. I had a slight inkling last week, when my doula Meliea stopped by and I asked her to feel. She said she felt a tiny lump on the big one and thought it could be a cheek bone, which now we know is right on the money.

So what is there to do?

1 - With the help of my friend Julie, I am in the process of contacting a chiropractor to try something called the Webster Technique, which involves adjusting my spine and pelvis, which relaxes the muscles and may allow the baby enough room to turn on its own. I hope to have an apponitment this week!

2 - I have an OB appointment Tuesday morning to check position. If baby is still upside down, that means we are heading to the hospital to attempt an External Cephalic Version. I asked my doc what the odds are, as I'd heard 50/50 and according to my friend Leslie's account, it wasn't a great procedure at all. He said for a first baby, odds are somewhere between 25-40%, but for a 2nd baby the odds are closer to 80-90%. Since Colin is not engaged in my pelvis at all and he's an active baby, he feels pretty confident that the Version could go well and he would be able to manually flip him.

3 - If all else fails, I guess I'm gonna have a C-section. Which I really do not want.

Think this is a sign of stubbornness to come?

3 Comments:

  • At Wed Jan 14, 01:11:00 PM 2009, Blogger Leslie said…

    Well, first of all, I have to tell you how impressed I am with your instinct! You told me a couple of weeks ago you thought Colin might be breech, and you were right!

    I hope I didn't freak you out when I said the version wasn't the greatest procedure. Sam's feet were firmly lodged in....something (my pelvis, maybe? I don't remember. I just remember the doctor saying, "Wow, he's not going to budge at all!"), and that's the reason it wasn't that great.

    I'll be crossing my fingers you get the outcome that's best for you and baby Colin!

    (And yes, it is a sign of stubbornness to come. Have fun)! :)

     
  • At Wed Jan 14, 04:18:00 PM 2009, Blogger CAGB said…

    Good luck turning your boy! Either way, as long as he's healthy. But, C-section would be neither the worst nor best thing you've ever been through, I promise.

    :o)

    Group B strep test - definitely ew.

     
  • At Wed Jan 14, 05:42:00 PM 2009, Blogger Emily said…

    Hey! My little guy was breech too until about a week ago. 2 things you can try before the Webster technique. 1) Pelvic tilts on hands and knees - hold the tilt for 10 sec. and release for 5 sec. Repeat for about 10 minutes, 3 times a day. He should start getting a little angry when you contract into the tilt. and 2) Get into a pool, whether it's at a local YMCA or health club or even an orthopedic therapy pool at a local hospital. Go into the deep end (like 5-6 ft.) with a float belt and hold onto the rail. Let yourself float up until you're laying flat out on your belly on the water (like a dead man's float). This will stretch you out and give him a ton more room to move. Hold for 10-20 seconds, then use only your abs (not your shoulders) to pull your body back to vertical position. Then float back up, and repeat for 10-15 minutes. These two things not only felt really good, but my little man turned after a few days of doing these things. Just some inexpensive easy things to try!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home