Monday, March 09, 2009

Milestones

So, it appears we are getting somewhere. I left the house again today (dentist appointment and then lunch with BFF Beth) and it went well! I even nursed in the booth at Chili's (right by the freaking front door with no nursing cover -- I used a sleeper I had in my baby bag to cover up.) I feel like I'm getting to a better place with being out and about with 2 kids. I even did some housework today after our adventure. I'm hoping the rest of the week continues to go smoothly!

So, I realize that tiny babies have less interesting milestones than bigger kids, but Colin really has changed so much in his almost 3 weeks on the outside that I simply have to note it!

- Has been smiling in his sleep for over a week now, but still no awake smiles yet -- although sometimes you can see in his eyes that he wants to, I swear!
- Is intensely interested in looking around now. He still gets cross eyed once in a while, but is definately focusing on contrasts and faces and seems to be genuinely excited by them
- Sleeps really well at night, even with the time change. We seems to hover around 8-12, 12-4, 4-8 over the night hours, which really is not bad at all.
- The gas, spitting up and pooping are either a) getting better or b) i'm not as stressed because I'm used to them. Not sure which, as I'm still sleep deprived, but I think it may be a little of both
- He is huge. Ginormous, even. I held a brand new baby (8 lbs, 7 oz) this past weekend and it was like night and day.
- Colin is awesome at holding his head up, just like Lily was at that age. Tummy time is no problem over here (actually, he sleeps on his tummy sometimes in my bed, hence the nice 4 hour sleep blocks). Oh yeah, you read it right. I'm a rebel. I cosleep AND I let him sleep on his belly sometimes. We walk on the wild side over here :)


As for Miss Lily, she is still in adjustment mode. She is the best big sister to Colin ("Hey, Baby Col, whatcha doin'? Huh? Whatcha doing?"), but has become a little sadder without being able to verbalize it, really. She has started saying less-than-nice things and when she doesn't go her way, she says "I'm going away!" and then runs to her room and slams her door. Its all very dramatic. So, we are taking more time to love and hug on her and trying to help her put feelings into words, but its not going so well. I don't think she even knows why she is upset, really. When I ask her questions, she says "I just want to cry. I don't want to be happy." We talk about how its okay to be sad sometimes, but how we can be happy too. Its a process and we are getting there.

This appears to be a sad face, but its really a frustrated face

My sister and Lily calming Colin


6 Comments:

  • At Mon Mar 09, 07:16:00 PM 2009, Blogger Rachel said…

    Let me just say you are awesome! Not even three weeks out and you had lunch with a friend. That is huge in my book. I didn't even get out for social reasons that soon with Kirby--well unless it was to a friends house to go from laying on my couch to theirs. The only public places I went to the first month was the doctor (either for me or for baby) and the grocery store. You are doing great! Just think, it only gets easier. :) Love you!

     
  • At Mon Mar 09, 07:55:00 PM 2009, Blogger Unknown said…

    Give it another week and half and he will be grinning. Kenton started lighting up a few days ago. Also, I must re-emphasize how I feel your sad 3 yr old pain. Kolt cries often lately and when I ask him why he dramatically says "I DON'T KNOW!" So since they are both doing it, I am thinking its a normal part of adjusting to a new sib. We just have to keep being sensitive to their sweet little feelings. Lots of changes for them right now.

     
  • At Mon Mar 09, 10:03:00 PM 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Boo..I really hate that I had to miss lunch :(
    I'm glad it went well.

     
  • At Tue Mar 10, 10:54:00 AM 2009, Blogger Leslie said…

    What a pitiful (but cute) sad/frustrated face!

    Those first smiles-- no matter when or how they come -- are heartwarming.

     
  • At Fri Mar 13, 01:44:00 PM 2009, Blogger CAGB said…

    Three cheers for nursing at Chili's! You've lived my dream. Haha. (Including going out to eat. Man, I wish I was at Chili's.)

     
  • At Sat Mar 14, 10:36:00 AM 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dude that frustrated face is breaking my heart. Love you all!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home