Rollercoaster
This picture was taken when Colin was exactly 21 days (3 weeks old). It just took me 3 days to post it. My bad :)We were on a roll there for a minute, getting out daily and enjoying the nice weather. Well, the dreary cold weather is back and with it, a host of problems. For one, breastfeeding remains a challenge at best and a reason for tearfully telling my crying baby "I don't want to feed you" at worst. Whoever said this was easy, lied OR they have awesome nipples and babies with awesome mouths. This shit ain't easy for the rest of us. So anyway, we went to the Lactation Consultant today after a very tear-filled day yesterday (drove to visit my friend cookie with little backup milk for starving baby and much pain and drama ensued). The Lactation Consultant took a lot of time with me and helped me figure out a better way to latch Colin. We had a pain free nursing session which ended with a very full and happy baby. Actually, Colin is what is known as a "hoss" meaning he is fat as hell. He weighed in (24 days) at 10 lbs 11 ounces. That is a full pound heavier than Lily at this age, I believe. The boy can put away some milk. While we were there, he ate 5.5 ounces gleefully. That's my boy!
After the LC appointment, we went to Lily's doctor. She has been itching on herself lately and I was slightly concerned that maybe she had a UTI too (more on that later), but her test came back negative (thank goodness). The highlight of that was trying to figure out how to get a 3 year old to pee in a cup. Not as simple as it seems.
Lily and I ran home, ate some pizza and then loaded BACK in the car to hit up MY ob's office for yet another appointment. Seems my UTI either never went away or I have a whole new one. Hooray! So after peeing a cup with a baby in a sling (also not easy), I got cath'd and examined (so embarassing) and Lily got more suckers and a chance to bond with my OB some more (who, we figured out, actually went to my high school about 10 years before I did). So, here I am, back on antibiotics and that stuff that makes your pee turn bright orange. Again.
Both kids are now totally passed out at 6:30. The little one is squirming and surely will wake up hungry in a few minutes. The big one, I may leave alone and see what happens. Surely a super early bed time can't hurt, right? Especially when I'd like a super early bedtime myself!
So, here's to next week and hopefully some relief from the burning pee and the deadly nipples and possibly even the dirty house psychosis!
No wait.
I forgot, I have a WIC appt on Monday, both kids checkups on Tuesday and another LC appointment on Friday. So, I'm guessing next week will be insane too! Wish me luck!
4 Comments:
At Fri Mar 13, 09:05:00 PM 2009,
Vonn said…
At least it's not snowing like it is in Delaware! Your children are beautiful. Kiss them for me. Is Miss Lily old enough to receive phone calls?
Nanny Carol
At Sat Mar 14, 01:13:00 AM 2009,
CAGB said…
You are doing great. All you can do is keep doing your best and remember that it has to be enough. :o)
It is funny how (in life) there are cycles of good days and not-so-good ones. And, I always figure that when things come to a head, as in "I am not sure I can do this!" it almost always gets better. It has to - the only place to go from the bottom is up! So, the great thing is, the worse it gets, the closer it is to being the very worst, which means it's closer to starting to get better! I know that's crappy, but sometimes I have to fight my own nuttyness here.
Anyway, it's 2 am. I'm nonsensical. Take heart - sounds like you have two healthy, happy kids there! Great work!
At Sat Mar 14, 03:37:00 PM 2009,
Anonymous said…
You are doing fabulous! Hang in there. What a cute little man you have!
As for Lily "itching" on herself lately... could she, perhaps be, exploring?
Piper is completely at that stage.
At Sat Mar 14, 09:41:00 PM 2009,
Anonymous said…
So glad to spend my Thursday evening with ya'll.
I am so glad that the LC was able to help..sorry I wasn't able to...
Post a Comment
<< Home