Thursday, December 03, 2009

Belated Turkey Day Post and Other Sordid Tales

I think I am bad luck to babies. My children are apparently marred for life in early infancy. If you'll remember, Lily stood up on a 3 legged table at around 6 months and it crashed on her, leaving a scar under her eye. Well, Colin is trying to outdo her. He tried to climb up a stair (as best as I can figure, someone else was "watching" him, but I digress...) and he ended up face first on the living room floor. There was a lot of blood, but we thought it was just a busted lip at first, but the next day, I noticed something more. His gums had, in one place, turned completely purple. It was scary and gross and of course, I freaked. Phone calls were lobbied -- doctors, nurses, Devin's Dad and finally, the best dentist in the world! I took Colin in and he pronounced him fine, saying it was, indeed, just a bruise and would heal on its own. A few days ago, a piece of the injured gum actually came off (it turned grey and died. Ew.), so we went *back* to the dentist and he told me again, all was well, but Colin may always have one tooth that the gumline looks more receded on. Here's hoping for accelerated cell growth!


Other than all that, the sweetest little man in the world is doing great! He is cruising all over the house, imitating nearly every sound we make (we are teaching him Lily's trick of saying "the kitty says meow meow meow -- and he makes some neat sounds and then says mow mow mow") He's eating a TON better and is just a pleasure of a little boy to raise. He's also pretty big, we go for his (late) 9 month appointment next week and he's already wearing 12-18 month clothes!


Thanksgiving went really well! My Mom & Devin's Mom made a terrific Thanksgiving feast and while we had quite a crowd, we didn't get many pictures. The kids did pretty well, Colin had screamed the entire night before so he slept, got up and ate a few bites and then slept again. I had him wear the same onesie that Lily wore on her first Thanksgiving, although he didn't eat with as much gusto as she did and it stayed much cleaner. In attendence to our celebration was both of Devin's parents, his sister Deanna (who moved home! yay!) and her boyfriend Matt, my sister and husband Jake and their roommate Sean, my bother, and then Devin and I and the kiddos. It was a nice turnout and a wonderful meal!
After his nap, we all noticed how incredibly warm Colin was and at the time, I thought it was just his cold. After telling Devin's parents that he had cried the whole night through, they suggested seeing a doctor for a possible ear infection. Freakin' A -- I was so tired that that never even occured to me, seriously. I felt kinda dumb and so Devin and I left Lily with my Mom and headed off the closest ER for an ear check. So a few hours and a trip to walgreens later, everyone slept better that night!

Colin did pretty good at the hospital, I let him play with the control that calls the nurse and changed the TV channels. He managed to turn on CNN and when he was being checked, I sat on it and butt dialed the front desk. My bad.

Devin's Mom left an ornament making kit for Lily as a parting gift. This was my ornament, isn't it gorgeous? I was impressed with Lily's staying-in-the-lines!


Sunday Afternoon, my cousin Jenny had a 2 hour layover in the Charlotte airport and we literally picked her up and brought her to our new house for 10 minutes. It was such a special treat! I actually got a little teary when she had to leave, it was hard to see someone I love come and go that fast, but I'm glad she got to see the new house and see all of Colin's new teeth (8!)



The reason that my Thanksgiving update is coming so dang late is that my photography gig is starting to take off. For those of you who haven't checked it out yet, indulge me:
So in other news, Lily started whining on Tuesday night that her ear hurt. So a $35 f*&!%ing copay later, she was also confirmed to have an ear infection. Joy. Colin helped Lily at the doctor's office
Despite the ear infections, both kids have been sleeping amazingly well. Colin has actually SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT three nights in a row. That's 12 straight hours for sleep each night! Of course, I haven't slept as well, because my body still wakes, ready to run in his room with a boob hanging out the minute he cries, but its still been pretty great! Please pray/meditate/chant/light candles/sacrifice puppies that it stays this way. My mental health needs it!
Oh, and the beautiful result of more dyed playsilks!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home