An End to Ich-mee?
So my little man hasn't nursed in 4 days (well, today is day 4). When I ask him if he wants to "ich-mee" (his word for nursey), he turns his head and walks away. Mommy's heart is a bit broken. We had no end-date on nursing, so this is coming as a bit of a shock. I will continue to offer, in hopes that this is a nursing strike, but it may be the beginning of weaning. Self-weaning tends to happen slowly, while nursing strikes tend to happen instantly. Time shall soon tell how Colin decides to proceed.
Some of you may read this, and your eyes may glance up to the top and notice my ticker. A few days away from 17 months. Some may think to themselves, "well its about dang time" -- but honestly, nursing is so much more than giving a baby milk. Its snuggle time with a very active boy. Its a sweet laugh and a lit-up face when he gets to nurse. Its the perfect remedy for any injury or upset. Its the perfect thing to warm a tummy and get ready to sleep. Its hydration on a hot day and warm comfort on a cold day. Its my body making for him something that is 100% suited for *just* him. Its different from his newborn milk, its toddler milk. Its made for a kid who goes through eating stages, who still needs mom's immunity, who doesn't have the words to express feelings, but can feel my love for him just the same.
Nursing is important to me. Not because I think everyone should do it. But because I was blessed that I was able to nurse my son. I am not ready to bid Ich-Mee adieu, but if Colin doesn't change his mind in the next week or so, it will be sad indeed. My last baby is growing up!
Some of you may read this, and your eyes may glance up to the top and notice my ticker. A few days away from 17 months. Some may think to themselves, "well its about dang time" -- but honestly, nursing is so much more than giving a baby milk. Its snuggle time with a very active boy. Its a sweet laugh and a lit-up face when he gets to nurse. Its the perfect remedy for any injury or upset. Its the perfect thing to warm a tummy and get ready to sleep. Its hydration on a hot day and warm comfort on a cold day. Its my body making for him something that is 100% suited for *just* him. Its different from his newborn milk, its toddler milk. Its made for a kid who goes through eating stages, who still needs mom's immunity, who doesn't have the words to express feelings, but can feel my love for him just the same.
Nursing is important to me. Not because I think everyone should do it. But because I was blessed that I was able to nurse my son. I am not ready to bid Ich-Mee adieu, but if Colin doesn't change his mind in the next week or so, it will be sad indeed. My last baby is growing up!
2 Comments:
At Tue Jul 13, 05:52:00 PM 2010,
Rachel said…
I know this is hard on you! They grow up fast. :(
I hope it isn't causing you pain to not have nursed for 4 days. Ouch!
At Wed Aug 18, 04:42:00 PM 2010,
Jessie said…
Ah, so bittersweet. My girl will be 17 months on the 23rd and I don't see an end in sight. Found you through CM - hope you stop by my blog sometime :)
Post a Comment
<< Home