Saturday, February 20, 2010

Happy Birthday, Babies!


My itty bitties celebrated their birthdays recently and due to snow and now illness (Colin has bronchiolitis from RSV), I've really slacked off on posting


We had planned a combined party with a neighbor at a local martial arts place (they had a credit there), but the night before the party, the snow came in huge amounts for this area (3-5"). Lily was understandably bummed, but she's such a great kid, she was totally okay with the change in plans. We asked people to come here instead for a small party, but of course with the icky roads, only family (my mom and sister & devin's dad and sister) and one friend (Aidan, little brother Nate and their awesome parents) made it -- which ended up being plenty.

My Mom and sister braved Bilo and grabbed balloons, cakes, sweets and frozen pizzas. I managed to dress everyone and sweep my living room before everyone started arriving. Lily was in heaven, having so many loved ones in the same place. Colin was a bit overwhelmed, but he felt safe in his own environment. He showed everyone how he likes to go up the stairs alone and run back and forth down the upstairs hallway, shreiking loudly.

We had a blast and the kids enjoyed it. Colin liked his cake a lot, until he rubbed it in his eyes and then I think it stung a little. Lily was amazingly gracious about sharing her bday with her brother. She even hosted her own "surprise party" for him a few days later (she and my sister made signs/decorations and yelled Surprise! when Colin came in the kitchen).

At 4, Lily is stunningly beautiful, loving, kind, artistic, romantic and just all around amazing. She is clever and thoughtful, observent and insightful, stubborn and loyal, and wants nothing more but to grow up and be a princess. I love watching the way her little mouth moves as very big words and complex thoughts come out. She pays attention to so much and her memory is remarkable. She surprises me daily with her sweetness and her imagination.
Colin's first year on earth has been one of the best of my life. I have learned so much from being a mama to this little boy about determination, sleep deprivation, perseverance, breastfeeding, and being a stay at home mom of two. This little man just melts me with his smile, has me laughing at his temper, and keeps me smiling with his sweet baby talk. He is walking and running with ease (although still baby-bowlegged) and has lots of words in his arsenal (my favorite of which is currently "tickle, tickle" as he scrunches his tiny hand on his own big belly. His snuggles are incredible!
To say my two children are the biggest blessings I've ever received would be a gross understatement. I do not know how I ended up lucky enough to be the mother of these two amazing people. I am definately grieving how fast the time is going, as I suspect these years are the best of my life -- great kids, great place (loving waking up to the lake view), great car (thank you, Devin), great job (working at home for decent pay as well as my little photography venture), great family (and everyone lives close!), great friends (so many wonderful people in my life today. Honestly, I cannot imagine a life better than the one I have now :)

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home