Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Here's the Plan....

By popular request, I have decided to go ahead and write up a primative and highly flexible version of my wishes. I'm afraid to commit to anything because we all know that with childbirth, things can change rapidly. I hate to jinx myself, but here goes:
  • I would prefer vaginal delivery: I have never had surgery, broken bones, or any kind of major procedure in my entire life....thusly, I am terrified of even going to the hospital, let alone having surgery. Some people do the elective c-section thing, but I just don't think it's for me. Now, of course, if something comes up, I have no objection to the doctors doing whatever is best for Lily.
  • Drugs: Oh yes! I am a big baby when it comes to pain, so I will definately be opting for an epidural as soon as humanly possible. I love the idea of going au natural, but I know myself a little too well for that one. If possible, I'd like to forgo any other painkillers that they give before the epi, like Stadol or Morphine or whatever...hopefully, we can go straight to the epi!
  • Delivery Room: I honestly have no idea who I want actually there while I'm laboring and then later, when I actually deliver. Other than Devin and my mom, I have not made any decisions on that one. I think I'll just play it by ear!
  • Visitors: PLEASE! I have never had a baby before and have no idea how I'll be feeling, but from what I hear, the first 2 days you have an adrenaline rush. I'm sure I'm gonna want to show Lily off, so please come by! I will definately (unless something really crazy happens) be having Lily at Presbyterian Hospital in downtown Charlotte, so you can call there for room numbers, etc.
  • Rooming In: If this is allowed, I'd love to keep her in the room with me as much as possible. I have heard many a mom say that sending the baby to the nursery during those first few days is a good way to recover. Again, that's one I will have to play by ear. I'd like to bond as much as possible right away and of course, have Devin bond with her as much as possible too.
  • Nursing: I'd REALLY like to nurse, but I'm trying not to pressure myself about it. I will do my absolute best, but I will not beat myself up if my body does not cooperate. Well, I'll try to not beat myself up, that is.

I also have a few opinions on episiotomies (rather not), forceps/vacuum (please no), internal monitors (pretty please no)...but again, I do not want to jinx myself here!

I wanted to share (so I can remember when I look back) how I've been feeling lately. I think my hormones are completely out of whack! I have cried over the dumbest things for no apparent reason whatsoever. Last night, I found that Devin had left his razor on the bathroom sink for what must be the 900th time and I immediately burst into tears. I asked how I am supposed to trust him to remember important stuff about the baby if he can't remember to put up his razor. Devin is such a nice guy, he didn't even try to point out my flawed rationale on that one. He just apologized and said he'd try harder. I have also cried at the fact that he, as a rule, does not replace the toilet paper on the roll and therefore I have to do it every darn time. Then, I watched the State of the Union address on TV last night and managed to spend the entire speech cursing at the president like he could actually hear me. Then, I stomped into Devin's office and went into a passionate one-sided (bc he was busy doing homework) political debate. Then I cried again because he was ignoring my ranting in favor of his computer. Poor Devin, he is really darn patient, that's for sure.

Needless to say, my hormonal outbursts combined with my insatiable need to disinfect and organize every single thing in my house, makes me think that I might go into labor before we schedule an induction date. I just hope I get my sanity back sometime soon!

6 Comments:

  • At Wed Feb 01, 04:10:00 PM 2006, Blogger Leslie said…

    Oh, Lora! I am laughing so hard! I TOTALLY see the rationale behind the razor and taking care of a baby. That sounds like something I would say now.

    Please don't be scared of a c-section! I was like you; I wanted a vaginal delivery in the worst way. Of course, that didn't work out. One thing Rachel told me about having a c-section is true - you get lots of special attention! As for nursing, CMC had wonderful lactation consultants who were there to help 24/7. I'm sure Presby will, too!

     
  • At Thu Feb 02, 01:24:00 PM 2006, Blogger Rachel said…

    I agree with Leslie. Please don't be afraid of a c-section. Also I'm glad you have a basic plan of what you would like to happen. But you sound like you are flexible, which is good as well. As Leslie can tell you--every birth is different and sometimes you just can't plan. It's good to be ready for anything. And if you end up putting Lily in the nursery every night don't feel guilty. I felt perfectly bonded with Kirby and we had him in the nursery each night. It was the only way I could relax and get some sleep, which helps milk production. When he was ready to nurse they would just bring him to me, we'd do our thing and they would come back and get him. It was really nice. At first I felt like a bad mom but I got over it when I woke up well rested. I figured I would have many nights to bond later. :)

     
  • At Thu Feb 02, 03:45:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey hon. I know it's hard, but try to ease up on the insatiable-need-to-clean-the-house thing. You're so lucky to have family and friends nearby. Put them to work! Trust me, they want to feel like they have some use in this whole baby thing. You really should be resting and storing up your energy. If not for your labor then definitely for after the baby comes home. I was in the hospital for 6 days (4 for myself and an extra 2 because Soren was kept for observation), and by the time we were all released I was terrified of leaving the hospital. I didn't want to go! I was so scared of the fact that it would basically just be me and my husband and the baby from here on out. Things will be so insane for the first few weeks, trust me you need your rest now.

    And about the pouring forth of emotions - don't worry about it. I promise you'll feel more like yourself after the baby comes out, although a little more frazzled and sleep deprived than usual, but definitly nowhere near as emotional as you are in these last few weeks of pregnancy. It's totally the hormones babe, just remember it's not you. ;)

     
  • At Thu Feb 02, 09:49:00 PM 2006, Blogger M said…

    As the girl who just recently made herself a hotdog only to take it into the nursery to cry for an hour about having to eat a hotdog for dinner- I find your ranting completely sane and normal. I am not sure if that is good or bad, but either way- I hear ya!!!! Plus, who can watch W even breath without feeling a little crazy.

    Good luck with the delivery:)I can't wait to come visit and meet lil'lily!

     
  • At Fri Feb 03, 09:27:00 AM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't feel bad either if you don't want a bunch of visitors crowding in your room every day. You are going to be tired and sore in various places:) I didn't even tell anyone I was in labor until it was over with...sorry Neva. I just needed to focus on the task at hand and really could care less about getting on the phone and calling everyone. Plus I was so drugged up I don't think I knew where the phone was :) Anyway, just do what you feel, not what you think everyone wants you to do...be selfish!! It's all about you now, don't feel bad if you just want time to recover. Good luck sweety, my thoughts are with you!!
    (Of course if I could be there it would be a whole different story!)

     
  • At Sun Feb 05, 09:56:00 AM 2006, Blogger Leslie said…

    I also did what Rachel did - at night, Sam slept in the nursery, and when he was ready to nurse, the nurses would bring him to me, he'd do his thing, and then he'd go back to the nursery. He would spend all day with us, but he was in the nursery for the majority of the night.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home