Munchhausen Mommy
Ok, I have recently discovered...that I am freaking retarded!!
All week, I've been stressing over my sick baby....for no apparent reason! It started this weekend when she was very fussy. By Tuesday, her little head felt warm, so I went ahead and took her temp rectally. Her temperature has hovered around 99-100 degrees all week. I have taken time off work, trips to the pediatrician and given her a bunch of tylenol (the recommended dose for baby), all unnecessarily! Today, I notice that it's been almost a week and her temperature has not decreased at all. Guess why?! As the nurse so helpfully informed me today when I called the Pediatrician back, is that you have to subtract 1 degree from a rectal temp to figure out the oral temp. Oh, so that means I have been freaking out and doping my baby for a week who had a completely normal temperature? Apparently, yes.
Munchhausen Syndrome is a mental illness that some moms have when they are convinced their babies are ill and repeatedly give them meds and see doctors, specialists, etc (like hypochondria on behalf of your baby). Clearly, I'm ill! I feel like one of these psycho freaks today!
No wonder Lily's been so grumpy! Tylenol makes babies sleepy and her mommy has lost her mind! This also answers my question as to why her eating habits and sleeping schedule has not changed a bit.
So, there you have it. I am a horrible mother, but have learned a valuable lesson. I would like to point out that I learned this the hard way. Devin's Dad is an ER nurse and he told me earlier this week that until a baby's (under 3 months) temp reaches 100.5, there is no reason to worry. Don't ask me why I thought my Business Degree would outweigh 25 years experience and nursing school :)
All week, I've been stressing over my sick baby....for no apparent reason! It started this weekend when she was very fussy. By Tuesday, her little head felt warm, so I went ahead and took her temp rectally. Her temperature has hovered around 99-100 degrees all week. I have taken time off work, trips to the pediatrician and given her a bunch of tylenol (the recommended dose for baby), all unnecessarily! Today, I notice that it's been almost a week and her temperature has not decreased at all. Guess why?! As the nurse so helpfully informed me today when I called the Pediatrician back, is that you have to subtract 1 degree from a rectal temp to figure out the oral temp. Oh, so that means I have been freaking out and doping my baby for a week who had a completely normal temperature? Apparently, yes.
Munchhausen Syndrome is a mental illness that some moms have when they are convinced their babies are ill and repeatedly give them meds and see doctors, specialists, etc (like hypochondria on behalf of your baby). Clearly, I'm ill! I feel like one of these psycho freaks today!
No wonder Lily's been so grumpy! Tylenol makes babies sleepy and her mommy has lost her mind! This also answers my question as to why her eating habits and sleeping schedule has not changed a bit.
So, there you have it. I am a horrible mother, but have learned a valuable lesson. I would like to point out that I learned this the hard way. Devin's Dad is an ER nurse and he told me earlier this week that until a baby's (under 3 months) temp reaches 100.5, there is no reason to worry. Don't ask me why I thought my Business Degree would outweigh 25 years experience and nursing school :)
5 Comments:
At Fri May 05, 02:13:00 PM 2006,
Leslie said…
Oh my gosh! The very same thing happened to me. I freaked until the pediatrician told me the same thing yours did. Don't worry, you don't have any syndrome. You are just being an excellent mommy.
At Fri May 05, 03:48:00 PM 2006,
Amy said…
I am pretty sure that I also informed you that you subtract one degree from the rectal temp. It is ok, you are not a bad mom, you are just concerned about your little one.
At Fri May 05, 04:08:00 PM 2006,
Amy said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
At Fri May 05, 07:22:00 PM 2006,
Rachel said…
Don't worry, Kirby is almost a year old and I sometimes forget to remember to subtract a degree. Like this week I got all freaked out when Kirby got to 104, forgetting it was really just 103--still high but not dangerous. You did what all normal mommies do. :)
At Fri May 05, 08:03:00 PM 2006,
Anonymous said…
Oh Lora, that is actually funny. Welcome to motherhood my Love,
Love MoM
P.S. Glad Lily is ok.
Post a Comment
<< Home