Friday, April 13, 2007

Home From Delaware!

Yet another picture-filled post from yours truly!

Lily and I had a great time on our adventure up north! A big thanks to Devin's family, who took us in and showed us amazing hospitality!

From here to Seaford, DE is quite a long journey. Luckily, Lily did reasonably well and we managed to make it there without too much fussing. We did get a chance to stretch our legs on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, which goes out about 20 miles over and under (via tunnels) the ocean.


We made it to Delaware right at bedtime, so we were able to get enough rest for the big day that lay ahead. We stayed with Devin's Aunt Carol and Uncle John, who were wonderful hosts. They took us to Chincoteague and Assateague Islands the following day. For those of you who were not big horse-dorks as adolescents, the islands were used as the setting for the book Misty of Chincoteague, which I fell in love with when I was 11. I'm a horse-dork and I'm proud of it!

The ponies here are wild and are said to be decendants of horses who survived a shipwreck from a Spanish Galleon ship. You can read more history here, its a fascinating story.

Here we are in front of the ponies:

Grandaddy Dan is trying to point out the ponies -- Lily calls them "Hweeses"

After seeing the "hweeses," we went for a walk on the beach part of the island. It was definately cold, hence the winter coats!




Devin's Dad and his sister Carol

The next day, we went to real Amish store and I actually got to see a horse and buggy up close. I wanted to take a picture, but it seems like I read somewhere that they think it'll steal their souls, so I didn't do it. Then, we wanted a picture of Lily with just the horse, but I didn't know if they had feelings about the horse's soul. By the time we caught up with Mr Amish and he gave his approval, it was too late. We were already in the store, buying tons of cool stuff and he left well before we got a chance to photograph the horse. They had a lot of organic food, fresh mixes, and hand crafted goods. I got Lily a little Amish doll and some good smelling candles.

On our last day, we headed to Washington DC, as it was technically on our way home. We had to choose what we'd do with our limited time there (just a few hours), so we chose to hit the Smithsonian's Natural History museum, pictured below:



It's dimly lit, but there are huge dinosaur bones above Lily's head. Devin's sister Carol and her grandson Vaughn came with us in a separate vehicle so we could go on home from there


Dan sure loves seals!


You know you wanted to see a picture of my baby next to a tall, pointy, phallic symbol that represents our nation's strength -- they could've just shrined a corvette or some other symbol of male ego, but I guess this one looks cooler :)

After a great visit and some wonderful memories, we headed home.
We let Lily drive.


Labels:

9 Comments:

  • At Fri Apr 13, 03:32:00 PM 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lily and the Washington Monument, is that some kind of political statement? The seal picture is so sweet.

     
  • At Fri Apr 13, 04:48:00 PM 2007, Blogger Rachel said…

    Glad you had such a great trip. Lily looks so old in the 'driving' picture. A mouth full of teeth and a little girl's face. No more baby face. :)

     
  • At Fri Apr 13, 05:10:00 PM 2007, Blogger Just the Sous Chef said…

    Glad to hear you had a nice trip! When did Lily get so big, LOL! GREAT pictures and looks like a fun time. - TK

     
  • At Fri Apr 13, 05:19:00 PM 2007, Blogger Rudy said…

    SO fun! Looks like you guys had a blast. Glad you had such a good time :)

     
  • At Fri Apr 13, 09:55:00 PM 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh man it looks like you guys had SO much fun. I'd give anything to have come! You should have invited me!..... I guess 'out of sight, out of mind...' :____(

     
  • At Sat Apr 14, 11:53:00 AM 2007, Blogger Leslie said…

    Ha ha! I love the shot of Lily by our nation's phallic symbol. Nice!

    That is really neat about the wild ponies and the Spanish Galleon. I had never heard that before!

    (I'm with Devin's dad. Who doesn't love a cute baby seal)?

    Glad you guys had a good time!

     
  • At Sun Apr 15, 08:17:00 PM 2007, Blogger Lauren said…

    I am glad Lily got you all home safely - I bet she is an excellent driver! It looks like you had a great time with family and saw a lot of neat things along the way!

     
  • At Mon Apr 16, 07:35:00 PM 2007, Blogger Lew said…

    How fun! I'm amazed with how much you do...Lily will be happy to look back at these pictures one day and see all the fun places you took her. You're a great mom.

     
  • At Thu Apr 19, 01:08:00 PM 2007, Blogger Just the Sous Chef said…

    Hi - came by for my Lily fix ... what's up?! No new photos?! LOL! Hope you are all doing well. -TK

     

Post a Comment

<< Home