Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Due Date

Yes, today is my due date and I'm still here, in case any of you are wondering. Due dates are arbitrary things, and I'm really okay not rushing this baby out. This is likely my last pregnancy and I don't know if "enjoy" is the right term for 40 weeks, but I'm definately not suffering. Part of me fears what life with 2 will be like, part of me fears my upcoming birth experience, part of me just fears change in general -- so rushing headlong into change is not on the top of my to-do list today. Today, I'm more worried about laundry.

I did get a really great due date surprise today! I got a package just before lunch from a firm that I do random research surveys for once in a blue moon. At the end, they always ask if you want to test products and I always say yes, but never get anything. Today I won the jackpot! I got...ready for it?! ICE CREAM! Yes, they MAILED me ice cream to try. Oh my goodness and it was heavenly!!!

Anyway, Devin was home for lunch break and showed Lily and how nifty it is to add water to dry ice. Total Mr Wizard stuff at our house today.


So, today, I had my "big" OB appointment for 40 weeks. My doula, Meliea came with me (can you say Godsend?) and it turned into a really long appointment. We had an ultrasound first to check the fluid levels. Baby was responsive to movement, practicing breathing inside (cute!) and also had fluid that was just slightly above the low range. Low end of normal is 5 and Colin's fluid is a 5.9.

After that, I had an NST, which is basically just monitoring heartrate and movement. That went really well, Colin is looking good in that arena too. Then, I had my cervical check -- no change there -- still at 1 cm, not really effaced and head is not engaged in pelvis. We also went over my birth plan with Dr Morris, who readily was on board with everything I'm looking for and filled me in on some of his ideas as well as well as some of the hospital's policy.

Basically, he is not concerned about the fluid at this point and thinks Colin can stay put longer and is fine. So, we are gonna do another NST on Thursday and reevaluate then. I think I may end up scheduling a date next week (after 41 weeks) to induce, just to have an end-goal in mind. Then, we'll hope and pray he comes on his own before then. Fingers crossed!
Oh and just because I love it -- here's Lily in a cute outfit she got for her birthday!


So, for today, no new news :)

3 Comments:

  • At Tue Feb 10, 11:40:00 PM 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Super cute outfit!
    You can induce on a Monday, Wednesday or a Saturday =)

     
  • At Wed Feb 11, 08:00:00 AM 2009, Blogger Amy said…

    Come on baby Colin, we want to meet you:)

     
  • At Wed Feb 11, 09:04:00 AM 2009, Blogger Leslie said…

    I wish I could fit in Lily's outfit! That is so cute!

    Um, what is the name of this survey group and where can I sign up? Do you think they would send me Boston Creme Pie?

    I can understand about the fears. I have those fears, too, and I imagine they are much more intense for you since you are so close! But you are a great mother, and you are going to be awesome.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home